Wednesday 16 January 2013

How SLU appointed new supervisors


My PhD project went so difficult because SLU couldn't provide an adequate supervision. My former supervisor denied his duties, even when it came to publishing articles. I expected that my University would at least find me a new and effective supervisor for the final step of my project. However, six months passed before SLU took care of this question. And the way how my University did it surprised me.
SLU's rules say that a student should participate in discussion of candidates and, together with others, sign a proposal for a new supervisor. The discussion is especially important when the experience with the first supervisor was so damaging for the student's career. But this did not happened in my case. SLU decided to appoint me a new supervisory group in conflict with all the rules and when I refused to accept the obviously biased candidates, the University started to pressure me.



From: Jan S
Sent: 18 October 2012 16:40
To: Elena K
Cc: Rimvydas V; Roger F; Marianne C; Martin W; Johan M; Nils H; Lennart J; Christer B; Pär F
Subject: Supervisior group

Dear Elena,
I have now put together a new supervisor group for you.
The main supervisor will be Doc Rimvys V (Mykopat) and the co-supervisors Prof Johan M (VBSG), Prof Martin W (VPE), Prof Marianne C (Mykopat) and Doc Nils H (Mykopat). As you can see they are all highly experienced and merited in different aspects of your field of interest both from the technical, theoretical and applied side.
Shortly there will be a meeting where you will agree on a revised study plan that you can follow to finalise your studies.
Best regards,
Jan


From: Elena K
Sent: 18 October 2012 19:42
To: Jan S
Cc: Rimvydas V; Marianne C; Martin W; Johan M; Nils H; Lennart J; Christer B; Pär F; Björn A
Subject: RE: Supervisior group

Dear Prof. S,
I appreciate your efforts to create a group of supervisors for me. Since it is a crucial question for my career, I hope that I may express my opinion as well.
I would appreciate it if an external expert would become my main supervisor, since I have an impression that scientists from my Department are biased toward me and my projects.
I would be grateful if Prof. W would become my main supervisor. His knowledge in wheat biology and also his skills in statistics would be a valuable complement to my project.
I strongly oppose the involvement of Prof. C in supervising my project. Being a person, responsible for PhD education at our Department, she showed absolutely no consideration to my case.
If it is necessary to include experts from our Department into the group of supervisors, I would appreciate it if Dr. A would be considered. I highly acknowledge his experience and understanding of the modern agriculture.

Regards,
Elena K

From: Christer B  Sent: 19 October 2012 16:41To: Jan S; Elena KCc: Rimvydas V; Roger F; Marianne C; Martin W; Johan M; Nils H; Lennart J; Pär FSubject: Ang.: Supervisior group



Dear All
The faculty note the progress in this matter and is pleased to see the high competence and experience represented in the group of supervisors. 
Sincerely
Christer B

Forest entomology, Dept of Ecology
Swedish univ agricultural sciences

 

From: Elena K         Sent: 19 October 2012 17:50        To: Christer B; Jan S Cc: Rimvydas V; Marianne C; Martin W; Johan M; Nils H; Lennart J; Pär F; Björn A; Anna A         Subject: RE: Ang.: Supervisior group
Dear Dr. B,
I am afraid that it was something wrong with e-mail service again and you have not got my letter, which was sent yesterday. Here it comes once again. Sorry for repetition!
Dear Prof. S,
I appreciate your efforts to create a group of supervisors for me. Since it is a crucial question for my career, I hope that I may express my opinion as well.
I would appreciate it if an external expert would become my main supervisor, since I have an impression that scientists from my Department are biased toward me and my projects.
I would be grateful if Prof. W would become my main supervisor. His knowledge in wheat biology and also his skills in statistics would be a valuable complement to my project.   
I strongly oppose the involvement of Prof. C in supervising my project. Being a person, responsible for PhD education at our Department, she showed absolutely no consideration to my case.
If it is necessary to include experts from our Department into the group of supervisors, I would appreciate it if Dr. A would be considered. I highly acknowledge his experience and understanding of the modern agriculture.
 Regards,
Elena K


From: Jan S          Sent: 19 October 2012 18:21        To: Elena K; Christer B        Cc: Rimvydas V; Marianne C; Martin W; Johan M; Nils H; Lennart J; Pär F; Björn A; Anna A      Subject: RE: Ang.: Supervisior group
Dear Elena,

It will not be possible to have a main supervisor from another department.

Best regards,

Jan S


From: Elena K        Sent: 19 October 2012 19:18      To: Jan S; Christer B     Cc: Rimvydas V; Martin W; Johan M; Nils H; Lennart J; Pär F; Björn A; Anna A    Subject: RE: Ang.: Supervisior group
Dear Prof. S,
If it is not possible to have the main supervisor from another Department, then I would appreciate if two other options would be considered. The first is that my registration would be changed to the other Department; and the second is that I will just go on without main supervisor as I actually have been doing for all these years.  My only wish is to use the expertise of Prof. W and being able to consult him on an official ground. 
I am afraid, that the appointment of any scientist from our Department as my main supervisor might lead to a new conflict, which I wish to escape by any means. My wish from the begining was to solve this conflict within the Department. Unfortunately you have been very resistant to all my attempts. Now it is going too far and I am afraid I can not trust anymore to the internal experts. 
Best regards,
Elena K

From: Elena K           Sent: 21 October 2012 06:03     To: Rektor; Rimvydas V; Jan S; Christer B      Cc: IngridP (Forward); IngerA (Forward); BosseAJ; RolfL (Forward); JohanL (Forward); LennartB (Forward); EvaTh (Forward); Lena A-E; PeterS (Forward); Göran Er; Ingrid Ö; Inger Å; Saco-SLU Ordförande, Lars L; Roger A; Martin M; Martin W; Johan M; Nils H; Pär F; Björn A; Anna A          Subject: RE: Ang.: Supervisior group
Dear All,
Regrettably, the attempt to solve a problem with the supervision of my PhD studies came to a dead end. I feel a bit lost: on the same day I have got two contradicting messages from Dr. V (please, see below) and it is difficult to understand which of his intentions is the true one. This casus confirms my worse fears that Dr. V, if being appointed as my main supervisor, would like to use this position to discredit my reputation and to nullify my chances of completing PhD studies. I am afraid that it was a part of plan that the Head of our Department, Prof. S prepared for me long time ago.  
Unfortunately, in spite of many assurances of best intentions provided by Prof. S,   his actions contradict his words. My studentship was cancelled just few months before my PhD studies would be completed. It was done without warning and without any explanations. About each and every rule prescript in the Guidelines for Research Education in the Faculty of Natural Resources and Agricultural Sciences were violated during the procedure of the preliminary termination of my studies. Mention just that there were only two meetings during all these nine months that supposed to deal with the problem. Both of them were organized by my initiative and after my numerous requests. Also in spite of my frequent requests for appointment of new supervisor there was no any action taken during half a year. Finally, there was even an attempt to disable my access to the laboratory and e-mail/software services.
I am not psychologist, but to my humble opinion, Prof. S is affected by very personal and very negative feelings and is using administrative recourses to satisfy his revenge. If only he could explain me what triggered such negative emotions, I possibly would try to change my behavior. My worries are also that the next time, when Prof. S would dislike someone else (someone with less stable nervous system then mine) and would start a new hounding the University might be involved in dealing with suicide.
What I found even more disappointed and dangerous is that experts appointed by the Faculty to supervise the process of problem solving have been observing all violations of the rules with inexplicable indifference. Trigged by their passiveness I filed an appeal to the Swedish Agency of Higher Education. Currently, thanks to Dr. B´s and Dr. F´s lack of concern, the whole University is in charge for this problem. In this case, one can even suspect the intentional desire to transfer responsibility to the higher level. I felt extremely uncomfortable to blame innocent people in deeds they were not guilty at (in this case the SLU Authorities), but indifference of these two experts left me no other way out.
Although it might impose some exertion on your e-mail boxes, I would like to provide you all with detailed information regarding my case. So if you wish, you could make your own opinion about it. The files with my appeal to the Swedish Agency of High Education, the reply from the Department and my comments on this reply are enclosed into attachment.
Finally, my deep plea is, please, if you do not want to help me then at least stop installing new obstacles. My only desire is to finalize my PhD studies as soon as possible and leave you in peace. I have no bad feelings to my University, only a great disappointment in particular people.

Best regards,
Elena K
Dept. Forest Mycology and Plant Pathology
Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences



 From: Lena A-E           Sent: 24 October 2012 16:46         To: Elena K; Rektor; Rimvydas V; Jan ; Christer B; registrator      Cc: IngridP (Forward); IngerA(Forward); BosseAJ; RolfL (Forward); JohanL (Forward); LennartB (Forward); EvaTh(Forward); PeterS (Forward); Göran Er; Ingrid Ö; Inger Å; Saco-SLU Ordförande, Lars L; Roger A; Martin M; Martin W; Johan M; Nils H; Pär F; Björn A; Anna A; Lotta H            Subject: SV: Ang.: Supervisior group

Dear Elena K,
 I have been informed of your case and regret that your education is not proceeding according to your expectations. SLU has a keen interest in developing and improving the PhD education in general, but also in supporting PhD students if the study and work situation becomes hard to handle. Thus a PhD commissioner is supported by the university and available for you to contact. When it comes to more complicated situations it is the responsibility of the faculty board, with guidance of the university lawyer, to ensure that the case is handled by appropriate persons according to the legislation. According to my information, work is in progress and a solution will be suggested.

Best regards,
Lena A-E
Deputy Vice-Chancellor
Sveriges lantbruksuniversitet
Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences



Från: Elena K           Skickat: den 24 oktober 2012 20:28                Till: Lena A-E; Rektor; Rimvydas V; Jan St; C B; registrator                         Kopia: IngridP (Forward); IngerA (Forward); BosseAJ; RolfL (Forward); JohanL (Forward); LennartB(Forward); EvaTh (Forward); PeterS (Forward); Göran E; Ingrid Ö; Inger Å; Saco-SLU Ordförande, Lars L; Roger A; Martin M; Martin W; Johan M; Nils H; Pär F; Björn An; Anna A; Lotta H              Ämne: RE: Ang.: Supervisior group

Dear Dr. A-E,
Thank you for your replay and for the willingness to find a solution for this situation.
Today I have got a message from Högskoleverket with Mr. J’s remarks on my comments (the file is enclosed). I would appreciate if you can inform me whether the position that is formulated in Mr. J´s letter is the official position of our University.
One more time I appreciate for your concern and am looking forward for the win-win resolution of this situation.
Best regards,

Elena K
Dept. Forest Mycology and Plant Pathology,
Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences
________________________________________

From: Lena A-E                 Sent: 25 October 2012 17:46                  To: Elena K         Cc: registrator           Subject: SV: Ang.: Supervisior group
Dear Elena K,
Mr Jonsson, the university laywer, represents the universitet in this matter.
Best regards

Lena A-E
Deputy Vice-Chancellor
 Sveriges lantbruksuniversitet
Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences

From: Gabriella P H                Sent: 26 October 2012 11:47               To: Elena K               Subject: Decision regarding supervisors and formulation of a new individual studyplan
Please see attached decision.*

Yours sincerely
Gabriella P H
Utbildningshandläggare
Sveriges lantbruksuniversitet
Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences

________________________________________________________________
From: Elena K                       Sent: 29 October 2012 02:36                To: Lena A-E; Rektor; Christer B; registrator          Kopia: IngridP (Forward); IngerA (Forward); BosseAJ; RolfL (Forward); JohanL (Forward); LennartB(Forward); EvaTh (Forward); PeterS (Forward); Göran E; Ingrid Ö; Inger Å; Saco-SLU Ordförande, Lars L; Roger A; Martin M; Martin W; Johan M; Nils H; Pär F; Björn An; Anna A; Lotta H; Roger F                 Subject: RE: Ang.: Supervisior group


Dear All,
I apologize for bothering you again, but after nine months of discussions about my PhD studies I realized that appealing to several persons in charge might be the only way to get answer.

On October 26th, I was informed about a new group of supervisors appointed for me by the NL Faculty (file Beslut Dnr Fe.2012.4.9 – 1257 is enclosed). My opinion on this crucially important issue was not even been inquired. To my point of view to assign superiors in autocratic manner is well expected at military organizations, understandable at private companies, but is out of place at academia environment. The inability or unwillingness of University (!) to maintain a constructive dialog and a clear tendency to eliminate problems by applying pressure is a scaring sign. 

After the first attempt to appoint a new supervisors group done by Prof. S, I explained my reasons for re-consideration of this proposal (file Supervisor group_sv is enclosed). Prof. S stated that it is impossible to have a scientist from another Department to be appointed as my main supervisor. The decision made by NL Faculty also did not take into consideration my request for external expert to be appointed as my main supervisor.

I regret to be a person, who need to remind SLU Authorities about the Rules prescribed by themselves, but according to the Guidelines for research education (third level programmes) in the Faculty of Natural Resources and Agricultural Sciences (Dnr SLU ua 40-1244/08) not only a scientist from another Department but even a scientist from other University can be appointed as a main supervisor for PhD student at SLU.

Particularly the paragraph §3 of the Guidelines says “A person who is an associate professor or professor, and employed at or visiting SLU may become the principal supervisor of a research student without a specific decision to that effect. A principal supervisor who is not an associate professor at SLU must have a recognised qualification in pedagogy of supervision.” (please, see the original document for more details at

Dr. H after being appointed as my main supervisor started with making a list of “must to do” tasks for me (see below). There was no any slightest concern whether it is feasible for me to do all these things. I have not been paid since the end of January 2012. My savings run off very quickly after this. Currently most of my time is devoted for making some modest living for me and my son. I have maximum two days in a week to dedicate to any other activities. In addition, the restricted diet for the last nine months seriously affects my health and diminishes my ability to work as efficient as I was able to work before.  Under these conditions I am not able to make any plans and/or to keep up with such plans.

Regretfully, the only solution that my University is ready to offer me is to put on additional pressure on me without providing any conditions that would allow me to fulfill these demands.

By the other hand, my former supervisor, Prof. F has got the incomprehensible protection from our University. He not only escaped questioning about the reasons why he did not find time within two years to read my manuscripts and to give his feedback on them, or why he was unable to guideline me through the basic statistical methods applied in his field of research; he even remained my supervisor until now according to the letter written by Mr. J to the Swedish Agency of Higher Education on October 24th, 2012! So, attached to this message is a file with a formal request for withdrawal Prof. F from the position of my supervisor. I hope this request will be registered and processed according the prescribed protocols.

Under these circumstances, I think that disagreements between my University and me can not be resolved without the participation of a third part. My proposal for now is to leave this problem for the consideration of the Swedish Agency for High Education and wait for their decision.  
 Best regards,
Elena K


***


I continued asking SLU for a proper procedure of appointing a supervisor, but University ignored my requests.   At the end of the year I needed to apply for a visa extension and sent a request to SLU for a issuing a certificate:

From: Elena K                  Sent: 30 November 2012 07:37                To: Gabriella P H              Subject: Decision regarding supervisors and formulation of a new individual studyplan

Dear Dr. P H,
My PhD studies are still not finished, so I need to apply for visa extend. To be able to do so I need to present to Migration Board several documents (http://www.migrationsverket.se/info/2973_en.html)
I would appreciate your assistance in obtaining a document referred in the second paragraph:
“a statement from your institution of learning showing that you have made acceptable progress in your studies. If your are studying at university or college, you are required to have taken 15 credits during the first year, 22.5 during the second year, and 30 credits during the third and subsequent years. If you are a graduate student, you should instead attach proof from your instructor confirming how your training is progressing and the planned dissertation date”
Thank you in advance!
Sincerely,
Elena K

___________________________________________________________________

From: Gabriella P H                  Sent: 30 November 2012 13:27                 To: Elena K           Subject: RE: Decision regarding supervisors and formulation of a new individual studyplan

Dear Elena,
I'm afraid I can't help you with that kind of document. You have to ask your supervisor/department to help you. You have a meeting with your supervisors on Monday, right? A complete Individual study plan might be such a document that the Migration Board is asking for.
Concerning your Individual study plan (sorry I haven't had time to answer you earlier), it has to be completed and signed by your supervisor and head of department, and then sent to me. Hopefully that will be done by Monday.
Have a nice weekend!
Yours sincerely
Gabriella



From: Elena K                          Sent: 30 November 2012 14:21                   To: Gabriella P H Lena A-E              Subject: supervision group

Dear Dr. P H,
Thank you for your letter.
However, I am afraid, there is again misunderstanding. I have informed the SLU Authorities earlier that I can not agree with appointed supervisors' group since the process of appointment was autocratic and my request to have unbiased main supervisor has not been considered (please, see the letter below).
My favor to reconsider the decision about supervision group was repeated twice since that, but was refused to be noticed by SLU Authorities.
In case if my favor was not clear expressed, I need to repeat that I want to have any scientists from other Department to be appointed as my main supervisor. This request does not conflict with SLU Rules, so I do not understand why it was ignored.
Sincerely,
Elena K



From: Lena A-E                       Sent: 30 November 2012 16:54             To: Elena K           Cc: Gabriella P H; registrator
Subject: SV: supervision group

Dear Elena K,
The faculty board has the responsibility for the PhD education, and I have full confidence for their way of handling this issue. The faculty board decides upon the individual study plan and has appointed a new supervisory group. You will have to accept to meet the supervisors and to fulfil the study plan in order to successfully complete the studies.

Best regards,
Lena A-E
Deputy Vice-Chancellor



No comments:

Post a Comment