Monday 14 January 2013

Part 3: how Prof. Gilderoy Lockhart supervises manuscript writing


What can happen when Prof. Gilderoy Lockhard, Order of Merlin, Third Class, Honourary Member of the Dark Force Defence League; and five-time winner of Witch Weekly's Most Charming Smile Award, became your supervisor


After doing data analysis the time finally came to write manuscripts. By that time, my supervisor was already very annoyed by the slow progress of my work, in spite of his talented leadership. He told me that I better start to write two manuscripts at the same time, in order to speed up a progress. But the absence in me of a talent for simultaneous writing, forced him to agree on an alternative approach. I was supposed to send him immediately every bit of manuscript that was ready and he would improve my scribbles.

Well, I am not complaining about his lack of work on my first draft: it was only half done when I sent it. But my second draft I have sent to him 16 (sixteen!) times.
However, my supervisor did not find time to read my manuscript and send his feedback for the next 1.5 years. When he finally sent it back after his edition, there were all together 311 changes: 256 of which were deletion of double spaces, mistyped letters and words, and 55 were formatting changes. Figures and tables were not even opened; there were no comments on structure, no scientific comments at all. The sight of these changes at last set my mind in a proper mode and I decided to seek help from real professors.

My supervisor was not evil, he was simple lazy. But does he have a right to be lazy? Does supervisor has right not to do his job? Can charming smiles and a good nature of a supervisor compensate a damage that his sloth causes?

The end of the story was pathetic: after all these long hours in the lab, battles with statistics and tortures with writing, I was simply fired, fired without notice and without explanations. My supervisor probably thought that if he stops paying me, than I would leave Sweden and nobody would know about his inability to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment