Tuesday 15 January 2013

Part 1: How SLU covers unprofessional behavior of its professors. Part 1


Roguish Prof. Gilderoy Lockhart was an exception for Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Other teachers at Hogwarts clearly saw his lack of skills and, at the end, forced him to perform his duties. If the SLU would discover Prof. Lockhart among its teachers, how would the SLU treat him? Most likely in the same way it treated my former supervisor: protect him from any questioning and promote him up to the Deputy Dean.

When my supervisor ignored his duties for years, and when it became the main obstacle for me to obtain a PhD, I informed the Head of the Department of Forest Mycology and Plant Pathology about the problem. Three months passed after this, but nothing was done. There were no meetings, no investigation. 
Since Department was covering unprofessional behavior of my supervisor, I appealed to the Faculty of Natural Resources and Agricultural Sciences, SLU:


From: Elena K
Sent: 17 April 2012 15:09
To: dekanus.nl; Stig L; Göran H; Håkan M; Monica Th
Subject: termination of PhD education

Dear Dean and the Members of the Faculty Board,
Recently I faced a problem that severe impair my career and I would appreciate if my case can be inspected by the Faculty.
I was a PhD student at the Department of Forest Mycology and Pathology. My supervisor was Prof. Finlay. In January 2012 my PhD education has been terminated without any notification. Although I have been asking several times after, my supervisor did not explain me the reasons of ending my education. There was no evaluation of my research project. There was no any meeting of the Departmental Board where the progress of my PhD project has been examined. My supervisor also did not explain me why the 75% revision of my study plan did not take place. So, it was an unexpected shock for me to find out that my education was ended when I lack just few months before complete my research project.
I feel very upset and find such treatment unfair, especially because I got very little help from Prof. F during my PhD research. There were many moments when I was left alone with the problems and it took me up to several months to solve them. However the most serious problem I encountered when the time came to wrap up results into manuscripts. The complete manuscript of my first article has been sent for revision to Prof. F on July 2010. During the next 1.5 years he did not find time even to read it. In December 2011 I included new material into manuscript and sent it again for revision. After being forced by the Head of the Department, my supervisor read the manuscript and sent back with minor changes of English and without even looking at the tables and figures. I was trying to explain Prof. F that this is my first experience of writing scientific paper in English and I am not able to do it on my own. I am also not familiar with publishing process. Several times Prof. F promised me to give his comments and help me with writing, but he have not done so. In the end I have been forced to beg the external experts for the scientific feedback and to send my manuscript for proofreading to the professional company.
Since I still have to complete the experiment that appears in my study plan (which is approved by Prof. F and the Faculty) I decided to stay in Sweden on my own expenses. However, my financial recourses are very scarce. I spent several years to do my PhD project and it is very shocking to lose all result now. In spite that I am alone mother and lived here with my son I worked at laboratory six days a week 9-10 hours every day and after all these efforts I was not given opportunity to complete my PhD education.
I shall appreciate if my case would be investigated by the Faculty. Thank you for the time and consideration!

Sinceraly,
Elena K
Former PhD student
Dept. Forest Mycology and Pathology
Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences



The mail exchange below gives an idea of what happened after:



From: Jan S
Sent: 17 April 2012 17:05
To: Elena K; Roger F
Cc: Marianne C; Christer B; Pär
Subject: Meeting invitation. 27th of April. Agreeing on a plan for the final period for Elenas PhD

Hi all,
We have now reached a situation for the PhD studies of Elena where the normal time has run out. We should sit down to discuss and agree on a realistic updated plan for how Elena can finish her studies. The faculty and department directors of study should take part in this. It can build on the previous discussions and plans.
There is a a possible time Friday the 27th of April at 9.00 at the department of Forest Mycology and Pathology that could work for several of the group.
Please respond me to tell if you can attend then.
Best regards,
Jan S
Prefect


From: Jan S
Sent: 29 April 2012 15:35
To: Jan S; Elena K; Roger F
Cc: Marianne C; Christer B; Pär F; Shahid M
Subject: SV: Meeting invitation. 27th of April. Agreeing on a plan for the final period for Elenas PhD

Hi again,
Thank you all for the discusssions last Friday. Although we did not reach a final plan then, it is still very important that we base the plan on realistic expectations. So Elena, we relly need your view on what is left to be done.
To me it seems as some of the problems you talked about in terms of low specificity in the PCR best are handled with sequencing.
Also, we need to find a supervision situation that is constructive.
Looking forward to get the contribution.
Best regards,
Jan


From: Elena K
Sent: 30 April 2012 03:15
To: Jan S; Roger F
Cc: Marianne C; Christer B; Pär F
Subject: RE: Meeting invitation. 27th of April. Agreeing on a plan for the final period for Elenas PhD

Dear all,

Please, find enclosed a file with the description of the current status of my PhD projects.
The technical problems that I was mentioned are not connected with low specificity of primers. As I told before there is a single band on the agarose gel with a specific size. Since I run nested PCR the specificity is high. The problems are common for the amplification of a mixed template (mixture of homologous genes) and it does not matter what kind of methods are applied later on to visualize the PCR products of these reactions. For the basic information on this problem you can read Kanagawa 2003 Bias and Artifacts in Multitemplate Polymerase Chain Reaction. J Bioscience and Bioengeeniring 96: 317-323 and as an example of practical study Hongoh et al. 2003 Evaluation of primers and PCR conditions for the analysis of 16S rRNA genes from natural environment. FEMS Microbiol Letters 221:299-304.
In a previous study I have develop a method to monitor the quality of PCR reaction in a mixed template. It allows estimating whether particular PCR is reliable enough to apply the subsequent analysis to the obtained PCR products. The problem was that I am not satisfied with the quality of first PCR.
I am open to the suggestions on a new supervisor.
Best regards,
Elena K


From: Jan S
Sent: 04 May 2012 14:17
To: Elena K; Roger F
Cc: Marianne C; Christer B; Pär F
Subject: RE: Meeting invitation. 27th of April. Agreeing on a plan for the final period for Elenas PhD

Thank you Elena for the information.
In order to proceed, Do you have any suggestion for a suitable supervisor?
Best regards,
Jan


From: Elena K
Sent: 04 May 2012 17:04
To: Jan S; Roger F
Cc: Marianne C; Christer B; Pär F
Subject: RE: Meeting invitation. 27th of April. Agreeing on a plan for the final period for Elenas PhD

Dear all,
Unfortunately, I am not very well acquainted with SLU personnel and I have never personally met the candidates I listed below. My judgments relay on the information I could get from their homepages. On the current stage it is important for me to get advices on my third project, which is related both to the microbial ecology and to the plant genetics and breeding. I shall highly appreciate if the scientist that will be appointed as my new supervisor has a deep knowledge and practical experience in population ecology and/or quantitative genetics and is publishing actively.
So far I find four candidates that, to my point of view, could meet these expectations:
(In alphabetical order)
Prof. C, Dept. Soil and Environment
Prof. R, Dept. Plant Breeding and Biotechnology
Prof. P, Dept. Ecology
Prof. W, Dept. Crop Production Ecology
Nevertheless, I am open to any suggestions.
Best regards,
Elena K


From: Elena K
Sent: 14 May 2012 06:22
To: Jan S; Roger F
Cc: Marianne C; Christer B; Pär F
Subject: RE: Meeting invitation. 27th of April. Agreeing on a plan for the final period for Elenas PhD

Dear All,
Two weeks have passed since our meeting on 27th of April. I shall appreciate if you can provide any information regarding current status of my case.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Best regards,
Elena K


From: Elena K
Sent: 21 May 2012 04:57
To: Jan S; Roger F
Cc: Marianne C; Christer B; Pär F
Subject: RE: Meeting invitation. 27th of April. Agreeing on a plan for the final period for Elenas PhD

Dear All,
Three weeks have passed since our meeting on 27th of April. I shall appreciate if you can provide any information regarding current status of my case.
Best regards,
Elena


From: Jan S
Sent: 21 May 2012 09:38
To: Elena K; Roger F
Cc: Marianne C; Christer B; Pär F
Subject: RE: Meeting invitation. 27th of April. Agreeing on a plan for the final period for Elenas PhD

Dear Elena,
We have not been able to finalise this yet. You will have to carry on as before for the time being. I am on travelling until the 7th of June and have limited possibilities to contact new people during the trip.
Best regards,
Jan


From: Elena K
Sent: 22 May 2012 23:28
To: Jan S
Cc: Marianne C; Christer B; Pär F; Monica Th
Subject: RE: Meeting invitation. 27th of April. Agreeing on a plan for the final period for Elenas PhD

Dear Prof. S,
I am very upset by your answer. I have been “carry on as before” since February. This reply indicates an absence of concern for my case.
Regards,
Elena K



No comments:

Post a Comment